Sunday, September 8, 2013

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

I woke up singing Obladi Oblada this morning…maybe because yesterday I decided to make these no bake chocolate peanut butter bars (that taste almost like reese’s) and then ended up eating half of the container… life goes on. Today I embarked on my first hiking trip in Korea. I was really looking forward to it because I haven’t had much exercise since I got here and also because I haven’t seen more than 3 pieces of grass and one leaf since I got here.

The only thing that I wasn’t looking forward to was waking up at 6:30 for a 7:30 bus departure. I have surprisingly gotten very comfortable with sleeping in since I don’t have to be at work until 11. I set my alarm but I couldn’t get to sleep until around 2am last night so waking up wasn’t much fun but I threw back some coffee and put my running shoes on and off I went to meet the group. . I went with three other foreign teachers whose Muay Thai master is in charge of organizing these excursions. We took a chartered bus because the hiking spot was about a 2 hour drive from Pyeongtaek.

It was impossible to miss this tour bus. As I approached the departure site, I could see an array of ajummas and ajusshis in NEON hiking gear, with poles and the whole works. I was literally prepared for an intense day of non-stop hiking up mountains and through treacherous paths and running from bears etc.
As soon as I stepped onto the bus I knew that this was not going to be your typical organized hike. The inside of the bus looked straight out of Snoop Dogg’s video for Sensual Seduction. It had multi-colored neon flashing lights on the ceiling and these Persian looking curtains with tassles.

We had just sat down and the bus had barely started moving when a lady came around and started handing out beer and soju. Have you ever started drinking before the sun has entirely risen in the sky? Key word being: STARTED. Not continued from the night before. Neither had I… until today. In North America, hiking means put on your sweatpants and running shoes and prepare for some strenuous walking where you will break a light sweat at the very least. In Korea, hiking means put on your neon finery and a full face of makeup and walk for 20 minutes until you reach a suitable place to sit and consume copious amounts of soju.

I came prepared for a workout and I was determined to get it so two of the other teachers and I left the group and continued up the river. It wasn’t the epic pilgrimage that I was picturing but I was just happy to be out of the city for a bit and the scenery was beautiful. We passed several other groups on our walk and everyone was incredibly friendly. One kind stranger shared his rice cakes with us and offered drinks.
We hiked for about 80 minutes and then made our way back to the rest of the group. We jumped back on the bus and headed back towards home, stopping on the way back for a buffet lunch. Meals here are always a guessing game. You never know quite what you’re eating until you bite into it, and sometimes not even then.

The highlight of the trip had to be the noraebang (karaoke) on the bus ride back. My previous hiking trips have never involved alcohol, karaoke and old Korean men and women dancing down the aisles of the bus. I have laughed so hard in this past month, I really feel like a kid again. That’s what I mean when I say that it’s been a rollercoaster. Sometimes you have a really bad day with your students and you miss home, and then the next day could be a complete 180 and suddenly, you fall in love with this country. Overall, it’s been a great experience so far and I am really happy that I came.  I will be spending a weekend at a Buddhist temple in the very near future and hanging out with some monks. Stay tuned.


Love <3


No comments:

Post a Comment